Moving into a new home is exciting but can be daunting! The last thing that you want to worry about when you are up to your ears in boxes is your home loan. Fairway makes moving easier by communicating with you every step of the loan process to alleviate your lending stress. You can also count on me for connections you may need when it comes to moving, so please don’t hesitate to ask for recommendations on everything from movers to insurance agents to local hotspots. I pride myself in knowing the area well, so consider me a resource if you should need anything.
Here are some great tips on managing potential moving stressors and making moving easy.
Before you move:
- Begin by completing a change-of-address form from the post office.
- Send your new address to any publications to which you subscribe, as it may take up to eight weeks for the change to become effective.
- If you are changing not only homes, but also communities, contact the local Visitor’s Bureau or Chamber of Commerce for materials about your new town.
- Pack a special box (or several) with essentials for your first few nights in your new home since it will probably take a few days to begin unpacking. These essentials will likely include prescription medicines, toiletries, clothing, towels and bed linens.
Once you have arrived in your new home:
- Locate the nearby emergency services, including police stations, fire stations and hospitals.
- Take a tour of your neighborhood to become familiar with your new surroundings and learn the best routes to work, school, the grocery store, etc.
- To ease stress, try choosing one room and make it a place of refuge for you and your family. Turn it into a cozy space free of unpacked boxes, empty cartons or anything else move-related.
Moving can be difficult on children. Make sure to discuss as a family how it is normal to miss your old home; then, share your feelings. Talk through the positive (and even negative) aspects of moving to a new house. Try to maintain family routines, especially since children will appreciate the continuity of family life. Be sure to keep everyone busy and involved to make the new home feel like a project in which they play a part. Allowing children to help select new furnishings and decorations for their room will help them feel more at home.
Remember that I am here to help with whatever you need during the homebuying process, and I would love the opportunity to refer you to services that will make your move easier.Tags: Moving